Insomnia Pre-Alpha Feedback

#1 Captain_Person

Captain_Person

Только что из пустыни

• Desert Rangers
  • Pip
  • 4 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 00:09

Hey. Played through the demo to the completion so I could give you some feedback.

First off, I’d like to start off with the visuals. In short, they’re lovely. Fantastic art-deco style on the UI, without detracting from its functionality. Excellent models and texturing. Solid animations and lighting. The protagonist’s face is, uh, a little ugly but I suppose it has its charm as well. The sound design is perfectly fine as well – the only complaint I had is the excessive echo in the sewers.

I’ve had no performance issues, but I *have* just upgraded my rig. I understand this is an unoptimized build and performance isn’t what you’re focusing on right now, but why not tell you anyway, eh? I didn’t run into any major bugs, either, other than the game refusing the save more than once. (Unless you die, then it allows you to make another save.)

Now, unfortunately, I have to get to the part where I am unhappy about things. Let’s start off with an easy one: Alt, the hotspot highlight key. The issue with it is that making it work in a small circle around the hero defeats the purpose of the key. You have to run up to everything in the room anyway. From there, you might as well just mouse over shit. I’ve used it throughout the demo and it didn’t help me in a single instance, since I had to rub up close to every object to get it to work anyway and by that time I’d have already moused over them.

Second, and this is a biggie, the Ruglish. Я сам русский, но решил написать этот отчет на английском, чтоб было наглядно видно, имеет ли смысл слушать мои претензии по поводу перевода. There are no basic errors in grammar and sentence construction, thank Cthulhu, but everything has obviously been written/translated by someone for whom English is oh so very not the native language. The English idioms are botched and the Russian ones are translated word-for-word even though they don’t work when translated, the word choices are ever so slightly wrong – the whole thing is just *off*. I was impressed with the opening monologue not because of its contents, but because the actor actually managed to read it out loud. The barks in particular are bizarre. “This is some task,” when clicking on a ladder? “This demands some thinking,” when opening random containers? “Shit I’m not sure I can cope,” when talking to someone? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

If you take just one piece of feedback to heart, make it this one – you guys need to hire a professional games writer who is a native Anglophone to cooperate with you on the script, or you’re in trouble.

Speaking of the script. I realize this is pre-alpha with a single linear mission and it’s a little unfair to infer the quality of the final product from the example quest, but, uh, I sincerely hope what’s already in the demo is not the final quality of writing you’re aiming for. I’m sorry, but you need to do much better. Like I already said, you need someone who’s both a native speaker and a professional writer.

Anyway. Let’s move on the game systems. Again, it’s hard to judge a game in such an early state. Still, I feel there are few remarks I can make based on what’s already there.

Most of all, I wish to focus my ire on the fatigue system. Why does this exist? Let’s recap. Right now, fatigue is the mana pool for your single, tedious melee attack which slowly diminishes with each blow providing no interesting choices beyond you probably dying if it runs out. It also diminishes whenever you run… giving you a degenerative choice between either traversing the long-ass sewers at a decent pace and inviting death because you won’t be able to hit anything when you finally run into something or, as I finally had to, ignoring the run button and slowly, slowly crawling to conserve fatigue. Who thought this was a good idea? What game have you seen this in? You could entirely remove fatigue and just let the player run as much as he wants and attack as much as he wants until someone’s HP runs out and there would be absolutely nothing missing from the game.

The combat is hardly better. I know, pre-alpha, not everything is in, but right now it’s a tedious RNG roulette where you spam a single attack. The firearm aiming I have no strong opinions about, but I’m not sure how that will work with multiple party members.

Health regen is bullshit as it is as well. In games, you generally either don’t give the player regen, but give him a spell/crafting ability to replenish it on his own terms, or quickly regen it to max after the combat is finished. Your approach is the worst of both worlds. I literally had to go make myself some tea while my character was standing there slowly gaining his health back. This is terrible.

The character system I have little feedback on, since we weren’t really given a chance to interact with it. Still, from what I’ve seen from the skill trees, I hope you make them more interesting. Skill trees are for interesting modifiers on the basic ability, like “you can aim while running” and “you can now backstab with an axe” not +damage and +crit shit – that’s already covered with the basic numeric skill stat.

I imagine there was something I could do in the demo with mechanic crafting and lockpicking, but since you didn’t bother to mention how they worked in your tutorial and I couldn’t figure out how they worked on my own (I barely figured out shooting on my second run through), I have no feedback on them.

A few other minor details:

“Drop out” when right-clicking items. Heh.

Consumables have fluff info, but no actual explanations what they do in mechanical terms.

Having the turrets just randomly fuck you up without any warning is a bit cheap.

Now, I hope you realize that if this post seems somewhat negative it’s because I really hope this game succeeds and I’ve put in some effort into providing you with as much reasonable feedback as I could think of. Good luck. 

#2 Vault_13

Vault_13

InSomniac

• R.S.M.
  • 2 813 сообщений
  • Город (city):Киев

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 12:46

Now that's what I call a feedback :D

Now, unfortunately, I have to get to the part where I am unhappy about things. Let’s start off with an easy one: Alt, the hotspot highlight key. The issue with it is that making it work in a small circle around the hero defeats the purpose of the key. You have to run up to everything in the room anyway. From there, you might as well just mouse over shit. I’ve used it throughout the demo and it didn’t help me in a single instance, since I had to rub up close to every object to get it to work anyway and by that time I’d have already moused over them.

I personally had the same issue but at the same time I recall that in Wasteland 2 (no idea if you played or not) there was a similar thing, and the radius of it was determined by how good your Perception is developed. I mean if you made this stat low on purpose and your character can focus on things than it seems to be pretty logical you can't detect all interactive objects around you at the same time. Though I'm not sure yet if this was an intention when we are talking about InSomnia. Well, anyway, noted that and passed to the devs.

Second, and this is a biggie, the Ruglish. Я сам русский, но решил написать этот отчет на английском, чтоб было наглядно видно, имеет ли смысл слушать мои претензии по поводу перевода. There are no basic errors in grammar and sentence construction, thank Cthulhu, but everything has obviously been written/translated by someone for whom English is oh so very not the native language. The English idioms are botched and the Russian ones are translated word-for-word even though they don’t work when translated, the word choices are ever so slightly wrong – the whole thing is just *off*. I was impressed with the opening monologue not because of its contents, but because the actor actually managed to read it out loud. The barks in particular are bizarre. “This is some task,” when clicking on a ladder? “This demands some thinking,” when opening random containers? “Shit I’m not sure I can cope,” when talking to someone? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Talking about barks, I just assumed that they are a bit random right now just for the sake of demonstration. Other than that I will suggest devs to consider hiring a native speaker pro who will proof read everything. They might already thought about that anyway. Довольно забавно, но из англоязычных вкладчиков никто не жаловался :D.

Most of all, I wish to focus my ire on the fatigue system. Why does this exist? Let’s recap. Right now, fatigue is the mana pool for your single, tedious melee attack which slowly diminishes with each blow providing no interesting choices beyond you probably dying if it runs out. It also diminishes whenever you run… giving you a degenerative choice between either traversing the long-ass sewers at a decent pace and inviting death because you won’t be able to hit anything when you finally run into something or, as I finally had to, ignoring the run button and slowly, slowly crawling to conserve fatigue. Who thought this was a good idea? What game have you seen this in? You could entirely remove fatigue and just let the player run as much as he wants and attack as much as he wants until someone’s HP runs out and there would be absolutely nothing missing from the game.

Sounds like a matter of taste to me. I had no issues with fatigue system at all, however I can understand your frustration. Maybe if it would matter only during the combat? Well, this "nay" to devs as well.

Health regen is bullshit as it is as well. In games, you generally either don’t give the player regen, but give him a spell/crafting ability to replenish it on his own terms, or quickly regen it to max after the combat is finished. Your approach is the worst of both worlds. I literally had to go make myself some tea while my character was standing there slowly gaining his health back. This is terrible.

You could just use a syringe looking med :). I'm sure the regeneration system shown in the demo was well just a demo, so this is hardly the final mechanics. 

I imagine there was something I could do in the demo with mechanic crafting and lockpicking, but since you didn’t bother to mention how they worked in your tutorial and I couldn’t figure out how they worked on my own (I barely figured out shooting on my second run through), I have no feedback on them.

I didn't find the way to lockpick or craft anything nor did I heard someone else did, so I'm pretty sure it's not there yet. Controls a pretty complicated right now, the team works on making them more intuitive and easy.

Having the turrets just randomly fuck you up without any warning is a bit cheap.

Well you were warned that tunnels are a dangerous place. When you enter a place where you are not supposed to be you can expect to be killed. I found this pretty amusing actually and died multiple times before I completed the demo. It made me remember old RPGs where devs didn't provide players with tips and crunches on how to do things, and you should have figure that by yourself. This certainly differs from modern casual games. However this is just my own opinion on things.

Now, I hope you realize that if this post seems somewhat negative it’s because I really hope this game succeeds and I’ve put in some effort into providing you with as much reasonable feedback as I could think of. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this amount of information! Would be happy if everyone would do the same as simple "this is great" or "I didn't like it" comments doesn't help much. Everything you mentioned is documented and sent to devs, so thanks again.

PS. всё же на будущее просьба писать на русском, так как в итоге мне всё приходится переводить для разработчиков и это занимает дополнительное время.

#3 Captain_Person

Captain_Person

Только что из пустыни

• автор темы
  • Desert Rangers
  • Pip
  • 4 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 17:48

PS. всё же на будущее просьба писать на русском, так как в итоге мне всё приходится переводить для разработчиков и это занимает дополнительное время.

Не вопрос. Я, как говорится, замейдал свой пойнт.

I personally had the same issue but at the same time I recall that in Wasteland 2 (no idea if you played or not) there was a similar thing, and the radius of it was determined by how good your Perception is developed. I mean if you made this stat low on purpose and your character can focus on things than it seems to be pretty logical you can't detect all interactive objects around you at the same time. Though I'm not sure yet if this was an intention when we are talking about InSomnia. Well, anyway, noted that and passed to the devs.

Играл. На мой взгляд, у Wasteland 2 есть ряд достоинств, и я не жалею о том, что в свое время занес им денег на Кикстартер, но я бы не сказал, что у них хорошо вышла механика. Не стоит им подражать.

Talking about barks, I just assumed that they are a bit random right now just for the sake of demonstration. Other than that I will suggest devs to consider hiring a native speaker pro who will proof read everything. They might already thought about that anyway. Довольно забавно, но из англоязычных вкладчиков никто не жаловался

Насколько я посмотрел тут и на кикстартере, я и товарищ в соседнем треде вообще единственные, кто почесался дать детальный фидбек. 

Я понимаю, что по только одному отзыву тяжело делать такие большие решения. Я бы и сам был неуверен. Но вы как минимум найдите еще кого-нибудь а) англоязычного и б) в писательской теме, попросите пробежаться по деме и спросите, мол, тут один привередливый гражданин утверждает что руглиш такой руглиш. Так ли это?

Sounds like a matter of taste to me. I had no issues with fatigue system at all, however I can understand your frustration. Maybe if it would matter only during the combat? Well, this "nay" to devs as well.

Нет, нет, фатига ужасна, не надо со мной спорить, я 200% прав.  :)

You could just use a syringe looking med. I'm sure the regeneration system shown in the demo was well just a demo, so this is hardly the final mechanics. 

Я шприцы заметил, да. Проблема в том, что их две штуки, а боев дюжина-полторы и после каждого надо лечиться. Шприцов как раз хватает на подлечиться раз-другой в середине боя, если RNG  тебя совсем нагнуло, но потом все равно надо стоять ждать пока накапает обратно. То есть, нужен какой-то механизм восстановления после боя.

I didn't find the way to lockpick or craft anything nor did I heard someone else did, so I'm pretty sure it's not there yet. Controls a pretty complicated right now, the team works on making them more intuitive and easy.

Механику упомянули как один из скиллов, который можно затестить, в посте про дему. Похоже зря.

Well you were warned that tunnels are a dangerous place. When you enter a place where you are not supposed to be you can expect to be killed. I found this pretty amusing actually and died multiple times before I completed the demo. It made me remember old RPGs where devs didn't provide players with tips and crunches on how to do things, and you should have figure that by yourself. This certainly differs from modern casual games. However this is just my own opinion on things.

Такое себе позволяет Dark Souls, но в DS особая механика смерти и с самого начала объясняют, что игра будет ногебать. В этой игре, имхо, ограничиться только подстветкой красным, без дополнительных предупреждений, неуместно. 

#4 Vault_13

Vault_13

InSomniac

• R.S.M.
  • 2 813 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 17:51

Мы все отзывы внимательно рассматриваем, так что любое мнение важно. Собственно, все ваши пожелания и замечания уже отпарвлены разработчикам. На счёт скила "Механика" - имелось ввиду, что можно разбирать ботов на части при помощи рем. набора.

#5 Captain_Person

Captain_Person

Только что из пустыни

• автор темы
  • Desert Rangers
  • Pip
  • 4 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 18:24

Вас понял! 

Удачи с разработкой.

• Vault_13 это нравится

#6 Captain_Person

Captain_Person

Только что из пустыни

• автор темы
  • Desert Rangers
  • Pip
  • 4 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 19:58

Кстати, задумайтесь над тем, чтоб открыть доступ к пре-альфе всем. Это не большой кусок игры, как делали Wasteland 2 и Divinity: Original Sin, и я думаю что бэкеры не обидятся, зато игре будет очень полезно получить как можно больше фидбека.

И, кхм, задумайтесь над тем, чтоб поднять свой отдельный форум. На этом сервере лично у меня каждая страница грузится с минуту. Да и, признаюсь, несолидно это для разработчиков своей игры, сидеть в гостях.

#7 Vault_13

Vault_13

InSomniac

• R.S.M.
  • 2 813 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 20:06

Да, демку доработаем и для всех выпустим. С форумом пробуем проблему решить, что бы работал нормально. Пока будем здесь, так как разработка игры на первом месте, а там посмотрим.

#8 Nohvarr

Nohvarr

Только что из пустыни

• Desert Rangers
  • Pip
  • 1 сообщений

Отправлено 25 Сентябрь 2015 - 22:55

I was going to post a lengthy response but most of my concerns have been adequatly explained by others on this forum. Overall I'm happy with the expierence, and find it's a good solid start to what I hope will be a great game.

• Vault_13 это нравится

Page 1 of 1
Авторизуйтесь для ответа в теме
No new topics

Количество пользователей, читающих эту тему: 0

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users